Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

How Nevada Bob Met the Love of His Life

Excerpt from Nevada Bob's memoir, 50 Years with the Wrong Woman.

Bob started classes at the University of Washington in the fall of 1960. His objective, he explains, was to learn how to communicate effectively, so he took speech classes and English classes and any class that assist him in presenting his thoughts and ideas effectively. The goal of communication is not to impress people with big words. 

As many college students learn early on, fraternities do a lot of recruiting in the early weeks of a freshman's first experience of college life. Though Bob wasn't attracted to frat life, he did go to a dance on one occasion when invited.


One evening, I was approached by a group of guys. They wanted me to come to a dance and join a fraternity. I wasn’t interested in joining the fraternity, but I went to the dance.  They drove us to Seattle University. It was at this dance that one of the two most important events of my life occurred.


I was watching a very boring dance with slow, early 1960s music. The dance was well-lit, with average-looking, boring young girls. I was not intrigued in the slightest . . . with the exception of a tall, black-haired girl in a long black coat. She had a very classy, sophisticated appearance.


Nevertheless I was ready to go. Being 20 years old and ready for some fun, I wanted to leave. Just before we left, the tall black-haired girl turned her head over her shoulder and said to me, “And what’s your name?”


That simple statement altered my life forever. This girl, whose name was Carol Newton, was to become the most important figure in a very wonderful life that was to unfold before us. The many adventures we shared contained some tragic circumstances, but there were an awful lot of exciting fun-filled years. A little more than a year after this dance, I married her.

*


When Carol and I decided to get married, I told her father, Alfred Newton, of our intentions. He told me, “I have $1,000 to offer you and Carol. You can use it for a wedding or any way you see fit.”


I told him I would prefer to avoid a large expensive wedding extravaganza. “I want to use the money to buy our first home,” I said.


He immediately replied, “Carol, what would you like to do with the money?”


Carol’s response was: “I don’t care, whatever Bob wants.”


My God, could there be a more perfect woman? Sometimes I’m sure she would have taken that declaration back, had she known what was to come. That Carol, she was something else. Not many men get to marry a more perfect woman, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

* * * *

50 Years with the Wrong Woman is now available on Amazon.com. It will also be available in stores. If they don't have it in stock, ask them to order it from IngramSpark.

Learn more and place your order HERE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the Road Again with Nevada Bob Gordon

Stillwater Gazette Article Serves as a Nice Overview of Nevada Bob's Life and Spirit

Maria of Sentir Cubano Calls Nevada Bob's Memoir the Story of a True American Hero